Post-it

Vous pouvez cliquer sur les photos pour les agrandir.




dimanche 28 juin 2009

How to adapt a photo ballhead on a Manfrotto Modo 785b tripod



The idea : obtain a good quality photo tripod, light (no more 1,2kg) and not expensive (not more 100 Euros).

Good quality … what I mean ?

The criteria that I'm looking are :
  • the locking legs system is simple, safe and quick
  • the mounting / down / locking system of the central column is simple, good stop, without crank
  • the low-angle leg setting can autorize to put the camera all the way to the ground.
  • The tripod is stable with a load of 2 or 3kg, without risk of camera fall down
After some research, one tripod out from the crowd for its excellent value for money: the Manfrotto Modo - 785B.

The bad side of this choice is its video ballhead: polycarbonate, the locking system does not take the load of 2 kg (it's normal : tripod is sold for a maximum load of 1 kg ), especially in vertical position (portrait).



It must then find a way to replace the ballhead, a ballhead true picture.

On the photo against (you can click on the picture) we can see the different parts of the column:


  • ballhead and a piece of threaded female column bottom
  • column main male and female threaded ends
  • threaded plastic cap male.








The diameter of the column tube is 19mm (not standard, we find 18mm or 20mm ... but not the 19mm), the metric screw 100 is 17mm in diameter not standard. Impossible to find bolts or nuts.



In the photo above, Left to Right, we see the tripod Manfrotto modo then his column. Then see the 3 aluminium adapter and below the Manfrotto 482 ballhead.
















These two photos show a aluminium adapter that I have done it by a mechanician.

On the one hand (on the left side on the photos) the screw in the 17mm metric 100 which screws onto the column of the foot.

On the other side (on the right side on the photos) the screw 3 / 8 "


Below the diagram of principle (length in mm) :



The photos below show the aluminium adapter, the column and the foot.
Click on photos to enlarge.



Finally some pictures with a Fuji S5 Pro (camera like a Nikon D200) with a 18-200 VR.
The camera and optics weighs nearly 1, 5kg.




in fine, in the end :
40€ te tripod to 810g without ballhead
+ 32 € ballhead to 110g
+ 20 € aluminum adapter to 10g
______________________________
92 € for 930g and 41cm folded, 150cm unfolded.


As you saw, I did make 2 additional aluminum adapters, then one is enough.
The other two are available. If you are interested, make me a mail (in margin in the blog address of Olivier).




====== edit june 2010 ======

I have no more adapter but Stephen Tomlin have made some parts.
I give you a link to the Stephen Tomlin website and below a picture of it.

7 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit…

of course

Anonyme a dit…

Hi Olivier,
I'm very interested in this adapter you have. Sorry, I was unable to find your address on your blog.
If you still have it, could you contact me on my email: bryan.seow@gmail.com

Cheers!

Anonyme a dit…

Can you direct me where you were able to have the said aluminum adapter for the manfrotto 785b. thanks,. would gladly appreciate it

Anonyme a dit…

Can you direct me on where i can have the aluminum adapter made for the manfrotto 785b thanks

Stephen a dit…

Olivier has none left so I have made a small supply of these adapters. I can airmail anywhere in the world for AUS$25 each. If interested please contact me through my website www.stephentomlin.com

Stephen a dit…

Hi Olivier,

It seems the part is slightly too large to be classed as letter mail and must be sent as a "parcel". The cost is now AUS$20 + postage which is AUS$7 to AUS$11 depending on the destination.

Apologies for this.

Stephen

Stephen a dit…

I have sold all of the adapters from my first batch. A new batch is being manufactured now and I should have them by mid-September.